Friday, February 19, 2016

LGBT Community



 LGBT Community
-Why some people can’t accept them-

There are some things in my mind, and LGBT community is one of them. When it comes to this topic, my opinion becomes non-negotiable. I do have a strong opinion about this topic. Why do I care about this so much and have a strong opinion about this even though I am a straight woman? It is because my closest friend is a transgender man.
My best friend Yuma
He and I met in a middle school, which is girls-only school 12 years ago as girls, and we have been best friends ever since then. However, he couldn’t come out to me until age of 18 that is 5 years ago. I was surprised and confused at first when I heard about it from him, but I could accept him easily. Why? Because I really love him as a person, and it wasn’t a big deal to me even if he was becoming a man. I didn’t want lose my best friend just because he changed his sex.

Unfortunately, there are totally different people than I am. Some people are against LGBT community. Since I came to the U.S., I have seen and heard some hate toward them. I have asked the haters why they can’t accept the community. Some of them told me that because they were taught so since they were children. Some of them said that because God forbid homoeroticism. Some of them even said that because I feel disgusted by them. In my opinion, I don’t see any persuasive reasons. Is it because I am not a religious person? Anyway I don’t get it. I believe hate comes from ignorance. They haven’t been around gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people. Even if they have, they didn’t get close enough to hear their stories. Ignorance creates terror, and it causes a negative chain.
          
When we visited our high school together
Some people even say becoming gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender is their choice. No, it is not. I know my best friend wouldn’t be a transgender man again if he could be born again. If it were a choice, he wouldn’t choose to suffer like this. In fact, LGBT youth are 4 times more likely to attempt suicide as straight youth. LGBT youth who come from highly rejecting families are 8.4 times as likely to have attempted suicide as LGBT peers who reported no or low levels of family rejection. Hate kills people.
            
Every time when I meet people who hates the community, I wonder what they are afraid of. It might be hard to accept something different than yourself. However, why do you care so much? Why do you want to be against the community so much? Being gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender is great, also being straight are great. I don’t understand why some people don’t get it. I think the haters “care” about others too much sometimes. Do me a favor, and love yourself and love others. Don’t worry and don’t be afraid of anything. When you love yourself truly, there would be less hate feeling in you. I hope the world will be less hate and more love.

On my birthday last year






No comments:

Post a Comment