Friday, February 19, 2016

Japanese Girls’ Obsession For Beauty


Japanese Girls’ Obsession For Beauty
-American standard isn’t Japanese standard-

I know this might be stereotype, but haven’t you ever thought Asian women are slim? In my opinion as an Asian woman, I think this stereotype isn’t wrong. Most of Japanese girls are slim/skinny. Is it because Japanese food has low calories compare to American food? Maybe. But I know exactly why they are so skinny.

To tell the conclusion first, Japanese girls are obsessed with being skinny. Don’t get me wrong, of course, not all of them. However, if you have ever been to Japan, you would have been surprised how skinny Japanese girls are. It is because Japanese girls see celebrities who are skinny through TV. I was one of them before. I was trying to be skinny and be on a diet all the time. I came to the U.S. that is why I could “recover” my senses, however, I still hear some people make some startling statements in Japan. For example, most of Japanese people think Beyoncé and Kim Kardashian are fat. They might even think Marilyn Monroe is fat too. I don’t think they are fat. I think especially Beyoncé looks healthy.

Most of girls who diet in Japan are not fat at all even though they think they are. I would understand if they diet in a healthy way, however, they do it in an unhealthy way. They tend to eat zero-calorie food a lot and eat no carbs. Some researcher say number of calories consumed by women right now is lower than number of calories consumed by women during wartime. Isn’t it crazy? Japan is one of the advanced countries, and yet we have this problem.

I’m pretty sure that I’m not a slim one by Japanese standards. In the U.S., some people tell me I’m small or slim, however, I wouldn’t be said these things in Japan. When I take a train in Japan, most of girls I see are skinnier than me. If they were born the way they are, I wouldn’t say anything. But most of them are trying to be skinny by doing a crazy diet. That’s why I think it’s wrong.


I wish Japanese girls could have self-confidence more. They have to know that they are attractive without doing anything. We are living with media around us. It is very convenience, however, it could be dangerous too. These Japanese girls are the example. They see and hear they should be skinnier through media since their childhoods. What we need to have is good judgement to see what is right and wrong from the media. And even if majority people said you should be skinny to look beautiful, you shouldn’t be affected by their words. Just know that you are beautiful just the way you are.

Anna is showing her confidence

Yuri is showing her confidence

I'm showing my confidence

No comments:

Post a Comment