Sunday, March 5, 2017

Mental Disorders that Affect Athletes

Don’t Hesitate to Get Help
When I sit in Dallavis lobby, I’ve heard so many students said things like “this class gives me an anxiety,” and “I just sat in the car and cried because I needed it.” Of course, I’ve had those moments too. When I’m overwhelmed or stressed, I cry at home alone. I’m sure that so many college students have experienced this overwhelming feeling. In fact, this anxiety thing is pretty common between athletes.
Since February, there has been a news that comes under the spotlight in Japan. One of the Japanese soccer players, Gaku Shibasaki who has high hopes for has started his new career in Spain. Everyone thought everything would go well, however, he has suffered anxiety disorder since he’s joined the new team. The symptoms are pretty serious. Shibasaki has not been able to be well adopted to environment and eating habits. He’s suffered from gastroenteritis, and hasn’t been able to join the practice yet. He has been staying in the hotel. People in Japan are concerned about him.
There is some research that shows that one in four college athletes show signs of depression. Most of college students live without parents for the first time, and they could have same trouble as Shibasaki. It is not easy to adopt everything when you are alone. If you or someone you know is struggling with depressions and anxieties, please don’t hesitate to reach out to people who can help. There is school counseling at Avila, so use it. Just know that you are not alone and people around you are willing to help!





No comments:

Post a Comment